We finally got our most recent ZPIC client charts out the door on Saturday. It was quite a little challenge but we are ready for the next. Hopefully, it won’t be you.
Needless to say, we haven’t had time to blog a lot. I plan on changing that in the near future because I miss you all. In my stead, is Dana Strong reminding us all about Medicare Cost Reports.
Also, if any of you have any specialized knowledge that you want to share, please forward to me. It is always good to have a draft or two on hand for those days when there isn’t even one extra spare minute.
FYE 12-31-10 MEDICARE COST REPORTS DUE MAY 31, 2011
Just a quick reminder to everyone that FYE 12-31-10 Medicare cost reports are due May 31, 2011. Failure to file an acceptable cost report timely, can result in 100% payment reduction by your Fiscal Intermediary.
An acceptable Medicare cost report filing consists of the following per CAHABA GBA:
• Diskette of the electronic cost report (ECR) file using CMS approved software
• ECR must pass all Level 1 edits
• A submitted print image (PI) file of the cost report. (Unless using free software.)
• Worksheet S with original signature of the administrator or chief financial officer
• A complete, legible hard copy of the MCR on proper forms (Free software users only).
• An exact match of encryption code, date and time for ECR and PI file creation.
• Settlement summary on the ECR matches the settlement on the signed Worksheet S.
• CMS Form 339 with original signatures of Administrator or CFO on certification page and applicable supporting documents
• Supporting documentation for worksheets A-4, A-5, A-6, and A-8 if applicable.
• Medicare bad debt listings, if applicable • Adjusting Journal Entries
• Working Trial Balance which ties to Worksheet A • Audited Financial Statements (if maintained)
The intermediary has 30 days from the date of receipt to determine acceptability. If the report is unacceptable, it will be returned to the provider with a letter explaining the reason for rejection. If the due date has expired, withholding of interim payments will begin. This withholding will be released as soon as an acceptable cost report is received.
Please remember it is important to both timely file your cost report and to ensure its accuracy for any future PPS rate updates.
Any questions, please contact me for any cost report filing assistance.
Strong Consulting LLC
1 Steeplechase Drive
Scarborough, ME 04074